With the popularity of “athleisure” continuing to rise, women are discovering how flexible and stylish an athletic wardrobe can be. But with the risk of fabrics that chafe or wear out quickly, consumers are learning that high-quality activewear is truly worth the investment. Like any quality investment, you should do your best to care for your athletic clothing properly so you can be sure that it will last you for years to come.
When it comes to washing all of the incredible workout clothes for women, including those sold here at Wear It To Heart, you want to keep in mind that workout clothes need a different style of laundering than most of your other clothes. When you work out, sweat and dead skin cells can build up in your workout gear. Therefore, the fact that they need to be washed is a no-brainer. This simple fact is complicated, however, by the fact that workout clothes can be sensitive to regular detergents and fabric softener. So how exactly should you clean your workout wear?
First, let’s start with detergent. Many people believe that in order to get their clothing as clean as possible, they should use more detergent. But the truth is that washing machines can only handle so much detergent. If you add more, it simply will not wash out of your clothing properly. This means that the detergent–and the sweat and skin cells it was intended to wash away–simply builds up on your clothes instead. Therefore, you should actually use a little less detergent than you would normally use, in order to make sure that it all comes out in the wash.
There are also some great detergents which are specifically designed for workout wear, if you want to give your clothes some extra TLC. Regardless of which detergent you use, always follow these steps:
Turn your clothing inside out. This will safeguard your clothes while also putting the “dirtiest” part of your workout wear on the outside of your garments, making them easier to clean.
- Soak your clothing. This is also a good idea if you are not going to be able to fully wash your clothing for a while after you work out in it. Soak it in either cold water or a mixture of cold water and white vinegar. Soak your clothes for at least 15-30 minutes before washing them. This step will keep gunk from building up and will knock out any stains as quickly as possible.
- Put your workout wear in the washer with a small amount of detergent. Regardless of which detergent you use, remember that you should only add slightly less than the recommended amount of detergent.
- Set your washer to the “cold water” setting. You should not wash your athletic wear in hot water, because it can break down your fabric and cause your clothing to shrink.
- If you are especially concerned about odors, you can add a half-cup of white vinegar to your washing machine’s rinse cycle.
- Do not use fabric softener. While it might make your everyday clothing soft, it can damage your workout wear and reduce its sweat-wicking capabilities.
- Avoid using the dryer whenever possible. Air drying your workout clothing is best, but if you have to use the dryer then you should use the lowest setting.
By taking these extra precautions and treating your workout wear differently from your other clothing, you can be sure to keep your leggings, sports bras, and other workout wear in top form.
At Wear It To Heart, all of our products are fabricated from our proprietary Salutex fabric, which helps you to stay dry and comfortable for everything from running on a treadmill to running after your kids. This material features a four-way stretch which makes it a perfect choice for any number of activities. And our beautiful colors and fun designs make it easy for you to look stylish, whether you’re at the gym or just running errands. Wear It To Heart makes incredible workout clothes for women, including sweat-wicking tops, high-waisted leggings, jackets, shorts, and capris. Put your workout wear to work for you with some top-quality athletic clothing from Wear It To Heart!